Enhancing the mealtime experience for older adults in long-term care
Relationships between team members and residents in long-term care can have a big impact on the mealtime experience. The atmosphere and physical aspects of the dining room also play a role in creating a relaxing and enjoyable dining environment.
CHOICE+ is an innovative program that enhances the mealtime experience in long-term care by focusing on relationships at mealtimes and creating an enjoyable environment. CHOICE+ includes six principles:
- Connecting – being social and making meaningful conversation
- Honouring Dignity – respecting residents’ decisions, choices, and preferences
- Offering Support – supporting residents based on their individual needs
- Identity – knowing and accepting residents as unique individuals
- Creating Opportunities – supporting active participation in mealtimes
- Enjoyment – creating a calm and welcoming dining environment
These six online modules will introduce the principles of CHOICE+ using videos, checklists and self-reflection. Each module is short and should take less than 3 minutes to complete.
Ready to begin? Click on the ‘Let’s Get Started’ button below to jump to the first module.
As part of the CHOICE+ program, two user-friendly checklists and six online education modules were created to help teams in long-term care work towards achieving the CHOICE+ principles.
Teams can use the CHOICE+ resources to:
- Understand their current strengths in supporting residents at mealtimes
- Get ideas of simple strategies to try in their day-to-day practice
- Spark discussion at team meetings and help develop plans for practice change
Mealtime Practices Checklist: Encourages person-centred practices at mealtimes
Dining Room Checklist: Helps to make dining rooms welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable
Access the checklists by visiting the RIA wesbite.
Online Education Modules: Introduces the CHOICE+ principles using videos, checklists and self-reflection. Includes 6 modules. Each module takes less than 3 minutes to complete.
Access the modules by clicking ‘Let’s get started’ below.
CHOICE+ is an innovative training program created by Dr. Heather Keller (Schlegel Research Chair in Nutrition and Aging, University of Waterloo/Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging) and the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging.
These education modules were supported with funding from the Government of Ontario to the Ontario Centre for Learning, Research, and Innovation in Long-Term Care hosted at the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging. The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of the province.